In this tutorial we will discuss what is Adverb? and the Types of Adverbs – Adverb of Time, Place, Degree, Manner by example.
What is Adverb?
- Usain Bolt runs Fast.
- Rock runs Slowly.
Here “Fast and Slowly” are the adverbs because they are showing some extra qualities or features about verb(runs).
Example 2: He is a very honest man.
- He: Pronoun
- is: Helping verb
- Very: Adverb
- honest: Adjective
- man: Noun
You can see we have defined separately in example 2 that very is Adverb which is showing the additional information about the Adjective, Verb.
Types Of Adverb
- Adverb of Time/Frequency (When?)
- Adverb of Manner/action (How?)
- Adverb of Place/Direction (Where?)
- Adverb of Degree/State/Quantity (How much?)
- Adverb of Purpose/Reason (Why?)
Adverbs of Time
Adverbs of time, tell us when something is happening or happens. Adverbs of time are usually placed at the end of a sentence.
If in the sentence it asks for “when” it means it is asking the time/frequency.
- John forgot to do homework yesterday and again today.
- You have to go now.
- Prince met Princess last year.
Generally, the Adverb of time is placed at the end of the sentence but you can put it also at the beginning of a sentence.
Some Adverb of Time/Frequency (yesterday, tomorrow, occasionally, always, normally, 3 Am, 5 Pm, soon, early, before, after, today, now, etc.)
- Last year I was in 10th standard.
- Tomorrow our fate will be decided.
- Yesterday we enjoyed the party.
Adverb of frequency shows when something happens continuously and sometimes.
- Amit Smokes Occasionally
- Mom always loves her children.
Adverbs of Manner
An adverb of manner tells us the manner action. Adverb of manner answer the question in the “How” manner, which means how the action is performed.
Some examples of adverbs of manner: (Slowly, Rapidly, Clumsily, Badly, Diligently, Sweetly, Warmly, Sadly)
- He passed the exam easily.
- Rohan walks quickly to catch the train.
- My exam went badly.
- Bhumi answered the question correctly.
The above examples are of adding +ly at the
Now, here are some examples which don’t add -ly at the end never.
- The Girls had worked hard.
- Shrishti dances well.
Adverbs of place
An adverb of place, tells us where the action happens. Adverb of the place also shows the (direction, distance, and position: southeast, everywhere, up, left, close by, back, inside, around.) These terms don’t usually end in -ly.
- Uttrakhand is located north of India.
- Mountaineer’s traveled down the mountainside.
- First, he looked here, and then he looked there, but he can’t find his parents anywhere.
Here are some examples of Adverbs of the place which are used at the beginning of the sentence.
- Here comes the sun.
- There is love in mother’s food.
- Here you are!
- Martin is moving far away.
- Cherry is sitting close to me.
- The dog is sleeping on the bed.
- Deepika is standing in the middle of the dancefloor
- Himesh looked upwards to the heavens.
- Dolly, look forward
Adverbs of Degree
Adverbs of degree define the action is “How much?” or we can say that what is the quantity of action is it much, more, or little
some examples of Adverbs of Degree (entirely, almost, extremely, less, most, completely, somewhat, etc.)
She is very clever.
I have done my homework completely.
He says I am extremely sorry for this.
Adverbs of Purpose
Adverbs of purpose, also known as adverbs of reason, describe why something happens.
some examples of adverbs of purpose (so, since, thus, because )
- She was sick, thus didn’t go to school today.
- He jogged a little faster Because he was late.
- Since it’s your birthday, I will buy you a gift.
Order of Adverbs
Adverb of ordering is most important in sentences because the order defines the correct sentence and if the order misplace then the whole meaning of the sentence goes wrong.
- Adverbs of manner.
- Adverbs of place.
- Adverbs of frequency.
- Adverbs of time.
- Adverbs of purpose.
Let’s take the example of Sentence
Sam runs (verb) quickly (manner) down the road (place) every morning (frequency) before College (time) because (purpose) He might miss the bus.
Some Adverbs Exercises
- The driver stopped the Car _______________.
Answer: C. The driver stopped the car abruptly.
- During autumn, colorful flowers can be seen falling ______________ from trees.
Answer: C. During autumn, colorful flowers can be seen falling gently from trees.
- My grandfather always smiled _______________.
Answer: A. My grandfather always smiled cheerfully.
- After the party, confetti was strewn _________________.
Answer: B. After the party, confetti was strewn everywhere.
- It’s time to go ____________.
Answer: B. It’s time to go now.
you can read these articles also: